Project name: Raasay House, Scotland
Slate supplied: SIGA 110
Specified by: Wittets Architects, Skye
Main contractor: Mansell Glasgow
Roofing contractor: Macleod Roofing Ltd, Inverness
The restoration of the roofscape of Raasay House – a Scottish Category Grade A listed building
on the Isle of Raasay, just off the Isle of Skye in Scotland – has been completed using natural
slate supplied by SIG Roofing, the leading supply chain partner of roofing materials in the UK.
The property is owned by the Raasay House Community Company and they have worked
alongside the Scottish Government’s economic and community development agency –
Highlands and Islands Enterprise – to implement the works.
Specified by Wittets Architects in Skye, approximately 917 sq metres of SIG Roofing’s SIGA
110 natural slate was laid in diminishing courses to restore the roof of this historic 17th Century
landmark which has been run as an activity centre since 1984 and will be used for that purpose
In accordance with Historic Scotland, the restoration of the roofscape had to mirror the original
roof covering as closely as possible. SIGA 110 slates were specified as their North Wales
origins best replicate of the original Scottish Ballachulish slate, which is no longer available,
both in texture and colour.
Under the supervision of the main contractor, Mansell of Glasgow, the new roof was installed by specialist roofing contractors, Macleod Roofing Ltd of Inverness – the same contractors who had already completed a roof restoration in 2009 when, days before its reopening, a severe fire destroyed the house. Fixing was in the traditional manner using pine sawn celcurised tiling battens, breathable underlay and copper nails. Architect, Alasdair Aldridge of Wittets Architects explains: “SIGA natural slate is extremely high quality and sits perfectly on the roofscape of
this sprawling mansion that features a multitude of intricate dormers and gablettes. The colour and appearance of the new roof covering complements the house’s overall exterior finish.”
Roofing contractor, David Mackinnon of Macleod Roofing adds: “In addition to having to restart the roof construction from scratch after the devastating fire, this project also had to overcome a multitude of logistical challenges including severe fire damage and the transportation of materials, as the house can only be reached via a 22 minute ferry crossing.
David adds: “After months of hard work, it is a great feeling to have completed this magnificent roof structure.”
Raasay House was destroyed by fire on two separate occasions; the first being in 1746 when the house was intentionally burned down in the wave of retribution which followed the Battle of Culloden. In the 1870’s the house was extended before becoming an outdoor activities centre.
Now central to the Island’s economy, it acts as a base for thrill-seekers of all ages on breaks that feature everything from sea-kayaking to abseiling, hill walking and mountain biking.